Tuesday, March 17, 2009

PC of 2019

What will computers in the future look like? The next ten years will bring much change. The PC of 2019 will probably fit in your pocket and have both a virtual keyboard and a virtual screen. Back in 1999 I got into an argument over what the PC of the future would look like. We were talking about the PC of 2009. My opponent said that the keyboard would be replaced by voice input, the mouse by a 3D data glove, and virtual reality sunglasses the screen. Guess what, that did not happen.

I said that voice input would create a noisy office and that VR or virtual reality makes you dizzy. We still have the mouse. My prediction was giant terabyte drives. He said that nobody needs to have a million resumes on their hard drive. I said that the big hard drive was for video editing. He said, so everyone will have a personal T1 line that costs $1000/mth?

Needless to say, I pay $10/mth for full on broadband and 1TB hard drives were on sale at office depot for $99, but that's not all, Youtube took off and people use PC to edit video.

For 2019 I predict that PC will become small, you are already seeing this with the iphone. It will go from a spinning hard drive to a small solid state device. You are seeing the future unfold before you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home